Monday 20 February 2012

Breakfast of Champions - my love/hate of Martha Stewart


The Breakfast of Champions:
Bacon, Egg and Toast Cups.

Adapted from Martha Stewart

I know, yep, they really did taste THAT good.

Picture the scene; it's Sunday. The day of rest. You've had a busy working week, a fun sociable Saturday and now you're left with Sunday. Maybe you've already been to church, maybe you've already started on the 'sort-your-life-out-Sunday' wash and tidy up, or maybe you're nursing a cuppa tea, in your jammys, watching the telly. Either way, your belly needs feeding. And my gosh is this the way to do it.

Prep time: 15 mins. 
Cooking time: 20-25 mins.
Eating time: As quick as you can.
Makes: 5

Ingredients:
  • 3 tbs of unsalted butter, melted. Or lactofree spread, depending on tolerance.
  • 5 slices of your favourite gluten free bread. (I recommend Genius seeded loaf)
  • 10 slices of bacon
  • 5 large eggs
  • Gluten free sausages (I recommend Good Little sausages)
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper to season
  • Deep Yorkshire pudding tray or mugs
  • Rolling pin
  • A healthy appetite



1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease mugs with butter or spread.


2. Roll and cut bread to line the greased mug. Emulate the mighty Union Jack with a two strip and fill in style (as photo shows) or use a cookie cutter and fill in the gaps. 


3. Having grilled the bacon for approximately 4 minutes, criss cross over bread.


4. Break an egg into each of the mugs, and season with salt and pepper.

5. Put sausages onto grill, and place tomatoes in an oven proof dish. 

6. Place mugs and tomatoes into the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the egg whites have set.

7. Run a small knife around the toasts and serve immediately. Not forgetting your sausages and tomatoes too.


8. Serve and have the time of your life eating the breakfast of champions!


Now really this recipe has hardly had to been adapted at all to make it low in FODMAPs. Showing the fun, inclusive simplicity that the FODMAP diet grants! 

And this is where I explain my love/hate of Martha Stewart. It turns out Martha is clearly averse to making an extra effort for those with 'dietary restrictions', as she made public knowledge in December courtesy of the Daily Mail. Cue the standard comment backlash and twitter storm, with a few tax evasion jokes all thrown in for good measure. 

So I call on all you food intolerant folk to be tolerant of Ms Stewart (see what I did there). She is clearly unaware and uneducated of the world of food allergies; and has had the exceptional luck of being able to munch, nibble and scoff whatever she has liked for her fine 70 years. (YES she's 70 and still looks like that..I know doesn't help with the whole 'liking' her campaign huh...)

Anyway, I digress. Martha Stewart, I do not agree with your attitude, especially when recipes can so easily be adjusted; and my oh my what I would give for an easier life in being able to eat whatever I fancied. But I love your bacon, egg and toast cups. I REALLY love your bacon, egg and toast cups. So you are forgiven.

Love,

FODMAP free
x

P.s. For full experience I recommend a cup of tea and 'Friends' telly accompaniment.

P.p.s. Anyone else tried these beauties?! Let me know how you get on! Any top adjustment tips?


And yes, embarrassingly this is me. Told you they were my favourite sausages...
SHARE:

1 comment:

  1. As much as I dislike the comments Martha Stewart made, these look delicious! May have to try them myself :) x

    ReplyDelete

© FODMAP Free! | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig