Sunday 1 March 2015

Pulled Pork with FODMAP BBQ sauce




Witness the ultimate pulled pork sandwich. Up until a couple of months ago I'd only ever eaten pulled pork from a good ol' food truck, heavy on the 'slaw, heavy on the serviettes. But then one lunchtime my friend served up the most delicious and tender pulled pork sarnie...and all from his kitchen! Not a van or trendy street-food scene in sight; just a trusty slow cooker.

This recipe is impressive but simple; a guaranteed crowd pleaser. If you choose to use ready made BBQ sauce then there's even less work involved. However I'm yet to find a sauce which doesn't have onion or garlic in the ingredients list (#FODMAPproblems). So I've whipped up my own and spiked it with a bit of whiskey for good measure.

The main thing you need for the recipe is time. I slow cook the pork for 10 hours, so it's perfect for the weekend when you can let it cook overnight and have it for lunch. But for weekdays you could turn the pork on to cook in the morning, safe in the knowledge it would be ready on your return from work.

For the bread rolls, I used Udi Multi Seeded Rolls which they kindly sent me. I fully put them to the test with this recipe as it's a pretty 'heavy' filling. Result? I'm impressed! My pet hate with some other gluten free breads is that they literally disintegrate the moment they're in your hands or come with crater like holes. These Udi rolls did neither and even soaked up and held the sauce, allowing me to stuff my face with elegance and grace (there's an image). They get away with it because they're pretty damn thick, even when sliced in half. And I think the seeded element helps keep them structurally sound, as well as giving a nutty depth to the bread. I love them and they'll definitely be added to my weekly shop. Nice work Udi!

By the way, just to reassure those FODMAP-ers who weren't sure - garlic infused oil is safe! In fact it's fabulous and I'm never without Waitrose's offering which I've linked below. The fructans in garlic are water-soluble, not oil-soluble so you're good with garlic oil! I literally rejoiced when my Dietitian told me this and then again when I discovered Waitrose's ready made version! It's the simple things...



Makes: 8 servings
Cook: 12 hours 

Ingredients:
1 pork shoulder roast (about 2 1/2 pounds)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 fennel
85g brown sugar
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp asafoetida
3tbsp malt vinegar
3tbsp whiskey
Chilli to taste

  1. Place pork in your slow cooker with a tablespoon of water. Switch to low and leave to cook for 10 hours.
  2. Remove pork from the slow cooker. Pour the juices from cooking in a seperate container and keep; you will use this later in your BBQ sauce. Shred the pork using two forks. 
  3. In a separate pan, it's time for that BBQ sauce! Heat the garlic oil and add asafoetida. Cook for a minute then add the chopped fennel. Cook until softened. 
  4. Add the remaining ingredients, including the meat juice from the pulled pork and mix. Season and add chilli to taste. Bring to the boil, then leave that sauce to simmer for 20 minutes. 
  5. Return your pulled pork to the slow cooker and cover with your BBQ sauce. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
  6. Serve in gluten free buns with some salad if you're feeling green! I went with lettuce and shredded carrot.







SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© FODMAP Free! | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig